Serving an Old Tavern Feel in the Kitchen
Couple toast to a highly functional period room that is the center of their family home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Chris and Kate Sweeney researched the details of their new kitchen to make sure that its colonial details were accurate. They wanted an inviting space with the feel of an old tavern or country inn.
- A rich color palette adds warmth to the open space. Mustard yellow and brown provide a background for the black cabinets and counters; deep reds and blues provide accents.
- The round dining table is located in the center of the kitchen, convenient to the workspace.
- With both sides of the L open to other rooms, upper cabinetry is limited. A large walk-in pantry located just behind the refrigerator provides open shelving and deep drawers for much-needed storage. The pantry, which can be closed off with a pocket door, also has a small office space.
- The lower cabinets have a painted black finish with distressed edges. The upper cabinets are finished with a medium cherry stain. The matching wood hardware disappears. Using different colors for the upper and lower cabinets adds to the furniture look of the cabinets.
- The large brick hearth provides literal and figurative warmth for the room. The mantel and bricks are historically accurate for the colonial time period.
- Honed black granite countertops have a softened gray look that is both functional and dramatic. The large white porcelain farmhouse style sink with polished chrome faucets provides a bright interruption in the black counter.
- Stainless-steel appliances with a modern edge make an interesting combination with the antique collectibles that give the kitchen its warmth and personality.
As families congregate more and more in their kitchens, the traditional living room may soon be replaced by the kitchen...
Explore options for adding a splash of color to the kitchen with these inspiring photos.(75 photos)
Classic architectural elements, vibrant colors and distressed finishes create a warm family-gathering place.(4 photos)