Multipurpose Makeover for Siblings' Bedroom
Playing, learning, sleeping — now all the kids have their place in an exciting space.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Seven-year-old Sophia and her 2-year-old brother, Owen, share a bedroom that also serves as a play area and homework area. Her homework desk doubled as a place to play her electronic keyboard, the closet was filled with their toys, and anything that didn't have a place got stashed under the bed. They needed a space where everything was neatly accessible and with lots of kid-friendly style.
To achieve this, our design team created a room that gives the children their own space and a creative environment where they can learn and play. A handmade window treatment now provides privacy, and linens made with the children's artwork define their personal space. Storage solutions give them easy access to their things, while exciting and interactive accessories make the room fun. Here's how the team got it done:
- Sophia and Owen helped make the window treatments. They painted their hands with orange, green, purple and blue paint and made handprints on white fabric. Once the paint dried, the fabric was thrown into a hot dryer for about 20 minutes to set.
- The fabric was cut into 11-inch-square panels that were sewn together with alternating panels of solid color.
- An interactive wall design incorporating four magnetic boards, colorful shelving and kinetic electroplates were added for lots of visual interest.
- Digital photographs of the kids' artwork were printed onto iron-on transfer paper with a color printer and transferred to pillowcases. The images were set with a hot iron.
- A custom rug was created from several small round rugs sewn together at the edges with monofilament.
- Two bookcases hold several colorful bins for toys and other items. New desks for each child are placed on each end of the interactive wall, and a new craft table for the center of the room gives the kids room to spread out and be creative.
See how to design a little girl's bedroom that is as enchanting as it is practical.
Creating a shared bedroom for siblings can be tough, especially when one child is a 6-year-old boy and the other is a...(11 photos)
A teenage girl needs a bedroom retreat that expresses her maturing style. Browse through these chic spaces for some vibrant...(8 photos)