DIY Upholstered Toddler Daybed
Reading spot by day, comfortable padded bed by night. Repurpose a standard crib mattress and bedding to create your own upholstered toddler daybed with simple tools and no sewing.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- (5) 2X2 pine or white wood boards, 8' long
- (1) 2X6 pine or white wood board, 8' or stud length
- (1) 1X6 pine or white wood board, 10' long
- (1) 1X3 pine or white wood board, 48" long
- (1) sheet 1/4" plywood or hardboard
- (50) 3" screws
- (20) 2" screws
- (30) 1-1/4" screws
- wood glue
- pilot hole bit
- 1 can spray adhesive
- 3 yards 1/2"-thick, 48"-wide upholstery batting
- 3 yards home decor fabric
- 1/2" staples
- staple gun
- 7 - 2X2 boards cut 25" long
- 2 - 2X2 boards cut 52" long
- 2 - 2X2 boards cut 9" long
- 2 - 1X6 boards cut 28" long
- 2 - 1X6 boards cut 53 1/2" long
- 2 - 2X2 boards cut at 29" long
- 1 - 2X2 board cut at 49" long
- 1 - 2X6 board cut at 49" long
- 2 - 1/4" plywood cut at 52" x 23 1/2"
- 1 - 1/4" plywood cut at 52" x 28" (optional for flimsy crib mattresses)
- 2 - 1x3 boards cut at 23 1/2" long
Build Bed Frame
Mark placement of bed-frame studs, taking into account that 2x2s are 1-1/2 inches wide. Predrill holes in frame sides, then attach studs to frame sides with 3-inch screws and glue.
Attach Front Legs
Pre-drill pilot holes in the tops of the bed frame and glue and screw the legs to the frame with 3-inch screws.
Upholster Side Rails
Glue upholstery batting to side and front rails with spray adhesive. Cover side rails with fabric and staple in place. Screw through inside of frame into back side of upholstered rails to attach the side rails and front to bed frame.
Some simple do-it-yourself tricks can take toddler beds and bedding from basic to stunning, designer-caliber showstoppers.
Add designer flair to a kids' room by transforming a basic bunk bed with ceiling-mounted hardware, floor-to-ceiling drapery...
Give a basic bunk bed a custom look with do-it-yourself fabric panels and a ready-made fabric awning.