Sorting Craft Supplies
Asking yourself key questions will help you figure out how to best declutter, organize craft supplies.
- Excerpted from Houseworks, by Cynthia Townley Ewer
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
For many of us, love of our craft transmutes into an obsessive tendency to collect the materials it uses. Problem is, after a certain point, the clutter interferes with our ability to pursue our avocation. Consider these questions when deciding whether to declutter crafting supplies:
- Is the item high quality? Is a fabric length a pure, natural fiber or a stiff, low-quality blend or synthetic? Did that hank of yarn fray when used for plastic canvas? Crafting time is too precious to spend it frustrated with low-quality materials.
- Is the item dated? Craft projects, like fashions, come in waves. One year, needlepoint is the crafter's choice, the next, knitting needles flash from every corner. Give dated craft kits and out-of-fashion materials to a crafter more in tune with retro styling.
- Is the skill level appropriate? You're a beginner at cross-stitch? No matter how beautiful it is, find a new home for the kit marked "Advanced Stitchers Only." Attempting a crafts project outside your skill level can bring a new hobby to a quick end. Pass it along to the neighbor with the flashing needles, and find a simpler project.
- Do I love this item? Last and best test for decluttering craft supplies: the love affair. Yes, when you bought it, every item in the crafts cache tugged at your heart in some way. But as with old lovers, has the magic moved on? Recycle everything that doesn't make your heart pound and your fingers itch to start crafting. Why waste precious time and energy working with something you don't absolutely love?
Excerpted from Houseworks, by Cynthia Townley Ewer
Text Copyright © 2006, 2010, Cynthia Townley Ewer, extracts from Houseworks, reproduced with permission from Dorling Kindersley Limited
Genevieve looks at ways to help a family make space through organization.(video 02:05)
Your house may look clean, but these common organizing mistakes can make it hard to maintain order. Professional organizers...(27 photos)