Vaulted Cathedral Ceiling
A plain ceiling is ripped down and a new vaulted ceiling is built.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
tape measure or chalk line
1. First the team donned goggles, masks and suits to protect them from harmful insulation fibers.
2. Using a utility knife, the joint between the wall and ceiling is scored to create a separation. This will allow the team to remove the ceiling without damaging the surrounding drywall.
4. The ceiling joists are removed by cutting through the beams with a reciprocating saw.
5. An electrician was called in to reroute the wiring.
6. New rafters are created with 2"x4" boards cut down to the appropriate sizes.
7. The whole ceiling is reframed when the new 2"x4" rafters are affixed to the existing joists. These will hold the weight of the drywall and create a space for insulation to be placed.
8. Insulation is placed in between the new rafters.
9. Drywall is hung over the new rafters, then painted.
Steve Watson and his team help this family by showing them how to transform their porch with a new floor, ceiling and columns.