Travertine Tile Desk
Construct a sturdy work surface using beautiful travertine tile.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The frame of this sturdy desk is built from plywood, and the entire surface is covered in travertine tile.
Materials and Tools:
plywood desk frame
thinset tile adhesive
1. Measure your space using a tape measure.
2. Begin in one corner of the desk to ensure that you will begin with a square edge. .
3. Apply the thinset to the back of the first tile using the notched trowel.
4. Place the tile on the corner of the desk with your hand. Hammer two small nails partially into the desk directly below the tile. These will act as both supports and spacers for the tile.
5. Press the tile (grout side down) onto the corner of the desk using the nails as a support guide. Use even pressure so that the tile goes on smoothly.
6. If needed, use a wet saw to cut the tile to size.
7. The next tile can now be placed below the first using the same technique. Repeat until the entire desk is covered. Each tile will be placed squarely against the previous tile’s nail spacers.
8. When all the tiles have been adhered to the desk, remove nails or spaces. Use a damp sponge to apply the grout.
9. Apply a coat of travertine sealer.
An antique door and some salvaged stair posts come together to create an eco-friendly desk.
From warm orange to cool blue, these vibrant home offices add the dash of inspiration needed for a fresh and creative start....(7 photos)
Whether placed in the corner of a room, along a wall or in an unused recess, these small spaces can make ideal home offices for...(9 photos)