Track lighting is one of the most versatile light types.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Although track lighting is great for highlighting artwork or decorative items on walls to create focal points, it can also provide ample and attractive illumination for an entire room.
Q: I think track lighting would make a great addition to my den, but I'm not sure how to install it. Should I hire an electrician for this, or can I do it myself?
A: (from James Young, Ask DIY electrical expert) Track lighting is one of the most versatile light types. Although it's great for highlighting artwork or decorative items on walls to create focal points, it can also provide ample and attractive illumination for an entire room.
If you're installing track lighting on a ceiling where an existing fixture is already positioned, this project is very simple.
Note: If you have any qualms about working with electricity, hire a licensed electrician to do the job for you.
Materials and Tools:
Note: Most track-lighting kits will include all the components that comprise the fixture:
- The light fixtures
- The track
- The mounting bracket
- The cover for the mounting bracket
- Screws and anchors
- As with all electrical projects, you must turn off the power to the circuit you'll be working on before getting started. Place a sign over the panel while you're working to prevent anyone from turning the power back on while the project is in progress; then, to be safe, affix a second sign to the door of the breaker box.
- After you've determined that the wires are safe to touch, remove the wire connectors, then disconnect the wires and removed the old mounting bracket.
Position the mounting bracket over the opening and secure in place with the mounting screws, included in the kit.
- Note: Depending on the placement of the mounting bracket, the track may or may not be centered over it.
- Once it's positioned, use a pencil to mark the openings in the track where the anchors/screws will be inserted into the ceiling.
- Note: For drywall ceilings, use drywall anchors. Simply insert them into predrilled holes, then replace and secure the screws through the openings in the track so they're fitted into the anchors.
Lighting is the essential element to complete any room. Get inspired with these fixtures, shades and unique styles.(7 photos)
Lighting is one of the easiest ways to update a room, whether you're adding a petite desk lamp or a floor lamp to brighten the...(12 photos)