Top 15 Home Updates
Find out how the top 15 home improvements rank, plus get tips on maximizing the return at resale.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
#10 Replacement Windows
Average return at resale: 89.6 percent
- Replacing 10 3x5 ft. windows runs about $9,700. On average nationally, you’ll get back $8,700 when you sell, a recoup rate of nearly 90 percent.
- Big city window replacements pay off. The average homeowner recoups more than she spends on replacement windows in San Francisco, Seattle, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, New York City and Boston.
- For hot climates, there’s low-e glass that reflects heat. And for maximum efficiency, add argon gas inside the pane to prevent heat and cold transference within the window.
- Replacing windows doesn’t pay in all hot climates. You’ll recoup only 62% of your cost in the Las Vegas desert.
#11 Family Room Addition
Average return at resale: 83 percent
- The average family room addition costs $54,464 and adds $45,458 at resale, a recoup rate of 83 percent.
- The highest recoup rates occur in high-cost Western markets.
- A sunroom counts in the home’s square footage only when the room is heated and cooled for year-round use.
- A sunroom adds value only in upscale neighborhoods. It won’t bring in higher bids in lower-end neighborhoods.
- An addition shouldn’t be obvious. Make sure it has an open transition. A wider interior doorway and more substantial steps visually connect the addition to the rest of the house.
- Shop local window manufacturers to find offer good deals.
#12 Bonus Room Updates
Average return at resale: 72.8 percent
- Converting a 12x12 bonus room into a home office costs on average $13,143 and brings in $9,569 at closing.
- Use a roller to paint the paneling and a brush to smooth of the paint that puddles in paneling grooves.
- Paint panels different colors for a groovy modern effect.
- If you’re selling, know your target market and decorate to please them. Families use bonus rooms differently than empty-nesters and singles.
- Add electric outlets for your computer and recessed lights. Kitchen cabinets or bookshelves organize the space above your desk. Put a rolling file cabinet underneath.
- Glass doors add a finished look to any bookshelf.
- Check local zoning before you build a studio to rent.
- Budget $2,500 for the mini-kitchen.
- Adding a full bath costs an average of $22,977 nationally. You’ll average $19,850 back if you sell, a recoup rate of 86.4 percent. Return rates go above 100 percent in big cities like New York City, San Francisco, Orlando, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
HGTV experts debunk some common home improvement myths and share their tips on what not to do when trying to add value to your...