How to Install a Decorative Ceiling Medallion
Add traditional appeal and visual interest to a chandelier or other ceiling fixture with an easy-to-install ceiling medallion.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
drill with countersink bit
spackle or wood filler
paintbrush and paint in desired color
paintable latex caulk
1. Before removing existing fixture, turn off power at circuit breaker box. Next, loosen and remove the escutcheon plate, disconnect wire nuts and test wires with a circuit tester to be sure the power is off. Remove fixture and set aside.
2. Use a countersink bit to drill pilot holes in medallion. This will allow screw heads to be recessed for a clean, finished look. If desired, paint medallion and allow to dry.
3. Thread fixture chain and wiring through medallion, making sure that the decorative side of medallion is facing down.
4. Reconnect electrical wires and secure connections with wire nuts. Next, hang fixture on its chain and close the gap.
5. Apply a heavy bead of adhesive caulk to the back of medallion; press the medallion against ceiling.
6. Secure medallion to ceiling with screws, but don't over-tighten. The screws are needed primarily to hold the medallion in place until the adhesive dries.
7. Caulk any gaps around medallion perimeter with paintable latex caulk. Patch recessed areas over screw heads. Once patching compound dries, lightly sand until smooth then touch up with paint.