How to Install Carpet Tiles
Installing carpet squares, or carpet tiles, is not only easy but it is a simple way to add bold colors and patterns to a room. Best of all, the colors and patterns are easily customized to fit the decor of any home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
carpet adhesive tape
1. To determine the pattern (so a single tile will lie at the center of the room) determine the center of your room by finding the center of each wall. Measure the length of each wall and divide the length by two. Mark this midpoint with a pencil.
2. Measure the width of the tile and divide it by two. That will give you the center of the tile. Place the center of the tile at the wall’s center mark. Then mark the wall at each end of the tile. Repeat this process on the three remaining walls and then snap chalk lines from the marks to those on the parallel wall across the room. These four lines will create a cross hair at the center of the room.
3. Place the first carpet square in center of the cross hair and work tiles out from that center point. If the carpet squares have an adhesive backing, do not remove the cover from the backing yet. In the photograph chalk lines are highlighted with painter's tape to demonstrate the crossing lines used to center the first square.
4. Use multiple colored squares to create any pattern you like. Pull up and change the pattern at any time. Once the pattern is determined, remove backing from the squares and smooth into place.
5. The last step is to cut the carpet squares to fit at the wall. Turn the carpet square upside down and set it flush with the wall and mark at both ends where the carpet square overlaps the next to the last rows of full carpet squares. Use a carpenter’s square or straight edge and a utility knife to make a straight clean cut on the backside of the carpet square. Install the partial square with the cut edge against the baseboard (molding will cover it if it is not exactly even).
A runner can add a splash of color to any room and make stairs more comfortable to walk on.