Originally used as a barge, this houseboat now sits in a community of floating homes and needs some special attention to give it a truly homey feel.
- More from Curb Appeal
Filed under: Decks, Nautical Theme, Blue, Tropical Theme, Color, Remodeling, Decorating Theme
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Homeowners Michelle Harris and Raphael Barragan love living on the water and want to infuse their houseboat with a nautical and tropical theme. Designer Caroline Vesey steps in to blend the themes together and give the home bright color and eye-popping accents, while focusing on the main goals of the project, which include de-cluttering the front deck and redefining the front entry.
Here's how they accomplish it:
- remove the old ramp and rebuild it with sturdy new planks
- put up a new arbor at the top of the ramp
- new non-slip urethane-sand coating for the deck
- vibrant tropical paint colors: aqua goes on the body, sky blue trim and white accent paint and new shutters
- bright blue awning over the door, and a new front door with sandblasted etchings of fish
- lots of planters and pots for the deck, new window boxes with magenta and pink flowers for color
- decorative accents: a buoy with housenumbers, new deck furniture and a hammock, and bamboo screening for the deck
Carter Oosterhouse uses recycled furniture and earth-friendly building materials in a backyard update.Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter