Fold-Away Desk Made From a Salvaged Door
An old door is repurposed into a space-saving, desk that folds up against a wall.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Tools and Materials:
table saw (if necessary to cut down door)
stain or paint with paintbrush, rollers and rags
screw gun with 2" wood screws
hollow-core or wooden door the size you want your desk
2- to 3-foot piano hinge
1x2 poplar board the length of your door to serve as a ledger
lag bolts and eye hooks
1. Paint or stain the door as desired. We did ours in a mahogany finish to match the wooden wall.
2. Screw the piano hinge onto the poplar ledger. Use the hardware provided with the hinge.
3. When the stain or paint is dry on the door, screw the other side of the piano hinge onto the underside of the door.
4. Use a stud finder to locate a framing stud within the wall. This will be the best spot to attach the desk to the wall.
5. Have someone hold the desk against the wall at the desired height, use a level to make sure the desk is square to the wall. With the screw gun, secure the ledger to the wall.
6. Attach the chains from the desk to the wall. Use a lag bolt to screw the end of one chain onto the side front edge of the desk. Repeat on the other side of the desk. Make sure the desk is level then attach the other end of the chains to the wall at a height where they will not intrude when the desk is folded up, and at a height where the chain will be taut when the desk is down.
7. Use a lag bolt to attach a 6” piece of chain to the wall just above where the middle of the desk meets the wall when folded up. Then screw an eye hook to the front center of the underside of the desk. Turn the hook so when the desk is folded up, it can be attached to the chain on the wall. If you need to remove a link of the chain to make it tauter, do so using a bolt cutter.
Spruce up your home by giving your interior doors a makeover. It takes less than a weekend and costs less than $100 in materials.
Protect your home from the elements. Steve Watson helps a homeowner install a new screen door and replace broken lattice over a...