Finding a Professional Remodeler
Are you one of the millions of Americans considering a remodeling project this year? If you are, then you probably have at least a couple of questions on how to find the correct professional.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
As you approach and finalize your decision on a remodeler, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Before you sign a contract:
- Ask the remodeler to share with you names and phone numbers of some customers that have experienced the remodeler's work.
- Ask to see similar jobs as yours. Does the quality of work meet your standards?
Ask the remodeler's customers:
- Would you hire this company again?
- Did the remodeler maintain a neat job site and haul away debris?
- Were delays kept to a minimum? Was the job completed within budget?
- Easy to work with? Dealt well with any unexpected problems?
Making the Decision
- Ask yourself if you feel comfortable with the remodeler and confident that this company will do the work according to your plans, budget and specs.
- Ask for a written estimate of the work to be done. If it fits your plans, make sure you can pay for it. If it is more than you can afford, see where you can trim things down or even postpone it.
- Ask the remodeler to explain plans, specs and company procedures for you. If you compare estimates, be sure each one is based on the same set of plans and scope of work.
- Find out whether the modeler uses a detailed, written contract to protects both of you and that complies with local, state and federal laws. The contract must spell out the work that will and will not be performed and provide a fair payment schedule.
- Select the remodeler with a track record of a variety of excellent projects and plenty of experience with your type of project. Again, be wary of an exceptionally low price.
In episode one, the Design Stars made over their gorgeous Hollywood home. See what Vern says they did right, did wrong and how...
Renowned interior designers and HGTV hosts Genevieve Gorder, Candice Olson and Vern Yip offer their exclusive design tips from...(5 photos)
Your home can be beautiful and pet-friendly, too, with these pointers from design experts.