Colorful Cape Cod
Cape Cod-style house undergoes minor revamping to become a cheerful cottage.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Becky and Peter Bjursten have an attractive Cape Cod-style house, which needs only minor changes. They’ll improve the home by bringing in some color with paint and landscaping, replacing original fixtures and adding some new elements, including a cobblestone driveway and traditional white picket fence.
Because the house is nice to start out with, designer Renee Kenney will focus on beautifying the existing features in the design and giving the home a cheerful cottage character.
Here’s how they accomplish it:
- Tear out the old driveway and replace with cobblestones.
- Replace a damaged porch beam, and add some new posts that fit the cottage design.
- New porch accessories: bronze mailbox, a doorknocker, and new house numbers.
- A picket fence gets installed, and a new front gate goes in.
- Garage door is replaced, with new vents. New dormer windows replace the old.
- The house gets painted yellow with white trim and a deep cranberry color on the front door.
- New plants including plumbago and red geraniums to contrast with the new yellow house.
Fond of the history of her 1920s summer cottage, Betsy Wilson preserved the integrity of this classic design while opening it...
See how a plain backyard is transformed into a coastal hideaway while staying within the homeowners' association rules.
College sweethearts Helen Stuart and Bobby Jones are still in love after 13 years of marriage, but their feelings have cooled...(8 photos)