Carbon Monoxide Detection
You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. And that's a problem because the gas is extremely dangerous.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
You can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. And that’s a problem because the gas is extremely dangerous. The homeowner in California had a potential carbon monoxide problem in his furnace, a hazardous situation he will have to fix immediately.
Carbon monoxide is produced when gas, oil, wood or charcoal is burned. If the fumes are properly vented there’s no problem, but if they seep into the house that creates a dangerous situation. The hazards of carbon monoxide can be kept in check by following a few safety precautions.
- Install at least two carbon monoxide detectors around the house: One near the furnace and one near the sleeping area.
- Open the flue when the fireplace is in use.
- Have your heating system and fireplace inspected annually by qualified technicians to ensure they are properly ventilated.
Even small amounts of carbon monoxide can affect your health so it’s worth an ounce of caution to save a pound of problems.