Building a Customized Kitchen Island
Every kitchen can use some more counter space. Adding an island can help solve that problem.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
3/4-inch birch plywood
countertop cut to size (we used the same concrete from the counters)
one gallon Ace Sensations primer
one gallon Ace Sensations ceiling white paint
pneumatic nail gun or hammer
two paint rollers
two paint brushes
1. Take the initial measurements of where the island will go.
2. Before you begin, get a rough estimate of the depth and width for your kitchen island. Use the size of the tiles, factoring in the space for the grout lines, to fine-tune the measurements, and draw out a diagram of what the island will look like. Our island was 15"x28"x36" high.
3. Measure the birch plywood with a tape measure. Using a T-square, score the birch plywood. That will keep it from flaring when you cut it.
4. Use a circular saw to cut the plywood pieces for the island.
5. Then, with a table saw, cut a 45-degree mitered angle for the side panel of the island. (Tip: Cut from the underside to get a straight line with no flared edges.) Repeat this step for the other side panel.
6. Glue and nail side pieces to top and bottom piece sand any rough edges. Prime and paint the island.
7. Using a table saw, cut the bottom shelves to size from a 4'x8' piece of 3/4-inch plywood. Prime and paint them.
8. Install the bottom shelf. Cut frames for the bottom shelf out of 1"x2" wood stock, using a miter saw to cut each joint at a 45-degree angle. Prime and paint the pieces. Attach the frame to the precut bottom shelf with glue and nails.
9. Dry-fit the bottom shelf on the frame, and screw it into position. Repeat with the center shelf.
10. We used the same concrete that we used on the kitchen counters for our countertop installation.
stainless-steel sink (item 501-304) — Blanco
ceramic tile — Dal Tile
ceiling tile (item # BP5422209NA) — Armstrong
cabinets — Aristokraft
custom wine rack — Wilson Forge
Carter Oosterhouse shows how to add counter space in the kitchen.