Before and After: '20s Bungalow Remodeled
A '20s bungalow is remodeled to improve upon its original architectural details and charm through a combination style that is part Italian Renaissance and part Arts & Crafts.
Filed under: Bungalows, Arts and Craft Style, Design Style, Home Types, Home Staging, Curb Appeal
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Sisters and roommates Katherine Ralph and Sydney Hannan are looking forward to bringing some personality and definition to the bungalow they share, while finding a practical way to open up the main front entry of their corner lot home. Designer John Zanakis comes up with a plan that encloses the side and back entry with an Arts and Crafts fence and gate structure and brings color to the home with warm paint hues and some Italian inspired details.
Here's how they accomplish it:
- tear out driveway and replace with concrete pavers, arranged to look like old European cobblestones
- new terra cotta paint on the body, cream trim, olive green on the windows, and a deep eggplant accent under the roofline
- accent the dolphin scene lunette above the front door with a color wash of terra cotta, gold & tan paint to give it an aged patina
- new wrought iron railings on the front stairs
- new wood door with custom hinges, metal grate over the window, and an iron trident
- put up a wood lattice fence on the side of the house, with a mechanical gate and trellis over the driveway, and a garbage enclosure with a deck built above it
This deteriorated backyard gets a makeover using unusual fabric sails to shade the new seating area and a hand-crafted copper...
A slide show featuring Kathy Venaglia's city bungalow. Designer Don Hirsch made the front of this home welcoming by introducing...(8 photos)
A slide show of before and after images from Curb Appeal 1908, transforming a brick cottage with earthy and organic craftsman...(10 photos)Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter