Avoid Unnecessary Repair Cost With Regular Deck Maintenance
Decks need to be maintained and protected from many outdoor elements to last.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Decks can be a wonderful addition to your home, giving you a great view or just a place to relax. But as our first-time home buyers in San Leandro, California, found out, decks must be maintained to avoid unnecessary repairs and replacement costs.
A deck's worst enemy is the elements of nature:
- Sun and moisture can cause premature rotting.
- Normal wear and tear may also loosen joints and connections, so it's a good idea to maintain a regular maintenance schedule at least once a year.
- Sweep the deck often, and when it gets very dirty, hose or scrub it down to neutralize the acid from fallen leaves.
- Check for wood rot and damaged boards, and repair or replace them as needed.
- Apply a coat of wood stain or water repellent every 1 to 2 years.
A well-planned maintenance program for your deck is the best insurance policy against repair and replacement costs.
Even though pressure-treated lumber resists insects and decay, it's still vulnerable to moisture and the sun's rays. To keep it...