How to Paint Canvas Stockings
Follow these instructions by Kerry Liebner to make your own stylish and simple stockings to give as holiday gifts or to grace your own mantel.
Filed under: Christmas Crafts, Christmas Decorating, Holiday Crafts, Holiday Decorating, Decorating
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Painted Gold and Poinsettia Stocking
2 Fredrix SewPaintable 8" x 12" rectangles
Plaid FolkArt acrylics: Inca gold, warm white, engine red, green foliage, yellow ochre
Plaid adhesive stencil diamonds
sewing supplies and machine
The stocking pattern and poinsettia drawing can be found in the PDF Pattern file.
1. Place the two sections of canvas fabric right sides together and transfer pattern to wrong side of top section. Cut out.
2. With sewing machine, stitch around pattern edge. Clip along seam allowance to ease curves. Turn right side out.
3. For hanging loop, cut out a small 4" x 2" rectangle and fold in half; open and fold edges into center fold. Stitch along original fold and along outside double fold edge. Fold in half and stitch to back seam of stocking.
4. Sponge stocking in Inca gold and allow to dry.
5. Using stencil brush and diamond stencil, paint random areas with design.
6. Stencil or paint large poinsettia motif in center of stocking. Add detail with liner brush.
7. Attach decorative fringe along top edge with craft glue.
SewPaintable is an amazing material! This stocking can be sprayed with clear acrylic to protect the pain and hung indoors or out.
Candy-Cane Stripe "Joy" Stocking
Project by Kerry Liebner.
2 Fredrix SewPaintable 21" x 9" rectangles (or length desired)
Plaid FolkArt acrylics: wicker white, engine red, fresh foliage, green forest
brushes: #6 flat, 0 liner brush, stencil or scruffy brush
transfer paper and stylus
red decorative fringe
sewing supplies and machine
The stocking pattern and JOY lettering can be found in the PDF Pattern file (below the image, above right).
1. Place rectangles of canvas fabric right sides together. Transfer pattern for stocking with transfer paper and stylus.
2. Cut out stocking shapes and stitch together along outside edge, leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
3. Clip along seam allowance to ease curves. Turn right side out.
4. For a hanging loop, cut a rectangle 4" x 2" and fold in half lengthwise. Fold edges in toward center fold on each side. Stitch along fold on outside edge and along double fold edge. Fold in half and stitch to back seam of stocking.
5. Base coat stocking with white and allow to dry thoroughly.
6. Using painter's tape, mask out white stripes.
7. Stencil red stripes using stencil or scruffy brush and allow to dry thoroughly.
8. Remove tape and transfer "Joy" to front of stocking.
9. Base coat letters in fresh foliage with a #6 flat brush.
10. Base coat holly in green forest and dot red berries with end of brush. Outline letters in green forest and add detail with liner brush.
11. Attach decorative fringe with craft glue.
SewPaintable is a great material. The stocking may be sprayed with clear acrylic to protect the paint and hung indoors or out.
Both easy and fun, this stocking has the brilliant sparkle of metallic gold lame' fabric. The fabric adds an unexpected bit of...
When Stephanie Rutkowski painted a flower pot as a birthday gift to her sister, she received a great response. These days she...
Decorate your Christmas tree with elegance by giving your ornaments a lacy look. Follow these instructions by Patricia...Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter