Kelly Bell crafts an old fashioned make-do Jack-O-Lantern art piece.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
old rusted bedspring
1/2 yard of orange felt
1/2 yard of black felt
1/4 yard of checked fabric
6 raffia strands
several mixed buttons
black sewing thread
hot glue gun
1. Cut two pieces of orange felt into 12" x 12" squares. Place the squares on top of each other and stitch up the sides using a straight stitch on the sewing machine and 1/4-inch seam allowances. Leave the top and bottom ends open. Turn the tube so seam allowances are on the inside (figure A).
2. Using black thread hand sew a running stitch around the outside of one open end of the orange felt tube. Pull it tight to gather the end together and tie a knot (figure B).
4. Hand sew a running stitch around the open end, pull tight to gather and tie a knot to enclose the stuffing (figure D).
5. Use a long needle and thread to loop around the body of the pumpkin from bottom to top going down through the center with the needle sectioning off the pumpkin, pulling the stitches tightly to form the pumpkin shape (figure E).
6. From black felt cut two triangles for eyes, one triangle for the nose and a half moon shape for the mouth. Stitch onto the side of the body of the pumpkin for the face using large crooked stitches. Stitch buttons in the center of the eyes (figure F).
8. Fashion a hat from black felt by cutting a rectangle 18" x 18" and a 6 inch diameter circle. Stitch the rectangle into a tube and stitch the circle on one end of the tube. Turn right side out (figure H).
9. Stitch the brim of the hat by cutting two circles of black felt 9 inches in diameter and stitching them together, leaving a small opening. Turn right sides out and insert a piece of floral wire to shape the brim. Hand stitch closed.
Spook up your front porch, walkway, foyer or any dark corner with this rustic recycling project that uses a (free!) wood...
Fill clear buckets with battery-operated tea lights to easily craft kid-safe, fireproof luminaries to light up your Halloween...
These fun paper shapes, packed with candy, are perfect to hand out to trick-or-treaters or for school parties.