How to Make a Funky Christmas Tree
This isn't your average Christmas tree. Follow these instructions by Melony Bradley to make your own funky tree.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
plastic foam 9" cone
plastic foam 1/2" x 12" x 36" sheet
8 plastic foam1-inch balls
plastic foam 3" x 3" x 3" cube
plastic foam 4" x 1" star
2 sheets 7 gypsies Le Monde newspaper print 12" x 12" paper
2 sheets Doodlebug Designs Christmas Candy polka dot 12" x 12" paper
2 sheets Doodlebug Designs Holly Jolly Dotted Line striped 12" x 12" paper
red card stock scraps
Marvy Uchida 2" circle and 2" oval Super Jumbo paper punches
Marvy Uchida 1/2" circle mini craft punch
16 Westrim Crafts 8mm cupped sequins
16 straight pins
1 yard each Offray ribbon: 1/16" lime green with white dots, 1/16" black with white dots, 1/4" red and white gingham, 1/4" black and white gingham, 3/8" black and white gingham, 7/8" lime green with white dots
6" of 1/4" wood dowel
label maker and red tape
Beacon Adhesives ZipDry Paper Glue
low-temp hot glue gun and glue sticks
Tsukineko Real Black Versacraft ink pad
1. Cut all 1-inch foam balls in half with craft knife. Cut sheet with craft knife into two 2-1/2" x 2" pieces and two 2-3/4" x 2" pieces.
2. Use newsprint paper to cover the 9-inch cone. Lay paper on a flat surface and roll around cone. Trim ends even with cone and secure with paper glue.
3. Cut four 3"x 3" squares. Ink edges with black ink pad. Adhere squares to cube using paper glue.
4. Cut two 3-1/2" x 3" pieces from striped paper. Cut two 3-3/4" x 3" pieces from polka dot paper. Wrap paper around cut pieces of foam sheet as if a small package. Use glue to secure ends.
5. Cut ribbons into half yard pieces and wrap around sheet pieces to form packages. Use low-temp glue gun to adhere to four sides of cube.
6. Use pencil to trace foam star shape on polka dot paper. Use scissors to cut out. Ink edges and adhere to star shape with paper glue.
7. Use large punches to punch 10 ovals and eight circles from polka dot and striped paper. Ink all edges. Adhere two oval shapes to sides of star.
8. Use small punch to punch out approximately 30 pieces from red card stock scraps.
9. To assemble the tree: Adhere small red card stock pieces randomly onto tree with paper glue.
10. Layer one cut ball piece, one punch, one sequin and one straight pin. Secure punch to foam with glue if desired. Stick layered pieces randomly into cone, alternating ovals and circles and patterns. Repeat until all pieces are used. Optional: Use low-temp glue gun to secure pieces to cone.
11. Use remaining ribbon (except 7/8-inch ribbon) to randomly wrap around punch and ball pieces. Secure ends with glue.
12. Stick dowel into bottom of cone. Secure with low-temp glue gun. Stick dowel into top side of cube. Secure with glue gun.
13. With label maker, make "Merry," "Christmas," "Happy," and "Holidays." Adhere to star, over punch.
14. Stick toothpick into bottom of star. Stick into top of cone. Use remaining 7/8-inch ribbon piece to tie a bow around toothpick.
Add some farmhouse charm to your front yard this holiday season with a rustic, wooden Christmas tree.
Give your handmade holiday cards a different twist. Follow these instructions by Karen Thomas to learn how to make a mizuhiki...
Mobile Christmas trees are the easiest way to bring holiday flair to any room in the house. Learn how to turn wooden crates,...