Corn-Shuck Angels Add a Rustic Touch to Christmas
A resident of Mountain View, Ark., creates a host of angels using the simplest of materials.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
10-12 corn husks, dried and cleaned (available at craft stores)
Spanish moss (or something similar for hair)
gold plastic ring (for halo)
bowl of water
1. Submerge all of the corn husks in a shallow pan of water for one minute to make them pliable. Once the husks are soft and pliable, remove them from the water and lay them aside.
2. Arrange four corn husks together with the straight ends of the husks gathered at the top. Use string to tie the straight ends together about 1 to 2 inches from the top.
3. Round the straight edges of the husks using scissors.
4. To make the head, turn the husks upside down and pull the ends of the husks over the trimmed edges. Tie the top of the newly turned-out side with string to form the head.
5. To make the arms, take another husk, flatten it then roll it into a very tight cylinder. Tie each end together with string, forming one large "arm" with the two "hands" on either end.
6. To secure the arms to the body, slide the them inside the head husk, just below the neck. It should slip in-between the folded husks. Position so that the arms are outstretched.
7. Tie a string around the main husk below the arms to form the waist.
8. Create the angel's skirt by turning the angel upside down. Wrap another full pliable husk around angel's body, securing the top of husk with string to hold it tightly to body. Flip angel right-side up and smooth skirt down over body. The twine should now be hidden.
9. Tear a husk into thirds by hand and fold two of the strips in half. Twist together with twine to make wings. Place a dab of hot glue on each wing and adhere each the back of the angel's body. Hot-glue the hair and halo, and draw some eyes, to complete your angel.
Why settle for plastic evergreen wreaths or natural greens that will dry out in a few weeks? Make a preserved boxwood wreath...
Designer Casey Noble shows how to bring the look and feel of a Christmas tree to a small space by creating a wall-mounted...
Make this easy, no-sew Christmas topiary using only pins and fabric squares.