How to Make a Baby Sock Clothesline Advent Calendar
These socks can be filled with gifts kids can look forward to each day, such as small toys, candy, sweet notes or coins. It looks great on a fireplace mantle or wall. Follow these steps by Mary Lynn Maloney.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
This version of an Advent Calendar is made with adorable little baby socks that I picked up on sale at discount stores. Begin the season with all the numbered tags showing. As each day passes, turn the tag around to reveal the metallic star. The socks can be filled with a wee gift that the kids can look forward to each day.
Materials and Tools:
2-1/2 yards clothesline cord
24 assorted baby socks, various sizes and colors
24 assorted hang tags with strings
computer and printer
Xyron adhesive system
1/2" and 1" diameter circle punches
Avery metallic star stickers
assorted snowflake sequins
Darice green and red sparkle pom-poms
Darice red mini pom-poms
Offray narrow red satin ribbon
Offray green/white polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Offray green/blue polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Beacon Adhesives' Fabri-Tac glue
1. Lay clothesline out on a long work surface. Arrange socks to your liking in front of clothesline; play with different sizes and turn socks this way and that to create interest.
2. Typeset and print the numbers 1 through 24 in various type styles and sizes. Run the printed sheet through the Xyron machine to apply adhesive.
3. Punch the numbers into circle shapes. Adhere numbers to tags, alternating the tags to mix up the sizes. Turn tags over and adhere a star sticker to the back of each one. Glue a tag by its string to each baby sock.
4. Using photo as a guide, glue the snowflakes, pom-poms and narrow red ribbon onto the socks in a random, alternate fashion. Let dry.
5. Cut the rickrack and the polka dot ribbons into short lengths to create the sock hangers. Vary the lengths of ribbon (from 3 to 6 inches) so the socks will hang at varying lengths. To attach, glue a ribbon end to the back of a sock. Hook the ribbon around the clothesline and glue the other ribbon end to the back of the sock.
6. Once all socks are hung on clothesline, hang the line up and use small dabs of glue to adhere and secure the ribbon hangers to the clothesline.
Recycled cans create a one-of-a-kind Advent calendar. Fill each date with a toy, candy, or an idea for family fun.
Count down the days till Christmas with a fun and festive mitten garland. Hang it below the mantel for a pretty way to spruce...
Linen, ribbon and vintage printables come together in this advent calendar, which is sure to become a family tradition.