Custom Stocking Holders
Design on a Dime Charles Burbridge shares the steps for making a custom stocking holder.
- More from Design on a Dime
Filed under: Christmas Crafts, Christmas Decorating, Holiday Crafts, Holiday Decorating, Holiday
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
1" X 6" X 10" scrap wood
1" X 4" X 4" scrap wood
one L-bracket (no larger than 4 inches wide)
3/4-inch long wood screws
ornamental drawer pull
router with decorative edging bit
fine grit sandpaper
black semi-gloss water based paint
two 1" X 4" strips of self-adhesive hook and loop tape
staple gun loaded with 1/4" staples
- On the 1" x 6" x 10" piece of wood mark the center point on both the six inch and 10 inch sides.
- Draw a line connecting each of these four points with the ruler and create a diamond shape on the face of this piece of wood. This will be the front of the stocking hanger.
- Use the saw to cut along these lines and discard the four triangular edge pieces that are left. All that remains is the diamond portion from the center that should measure 10 inches high and six inches wide.
- Use the router with the decorative edging bit on all four sides of the diamond piece.
- Sand this and the 4" x 4" wood piece until all the edges and the surfaces, front and back, are smooth.
- Paint all these wood pieces black.
- Attach the ornamental drawer pull to the center of the diamond piece.
- Using the L-bracket and the wood screws, mount the 4" x 4" square piece of wood to the backside of the diamond piece. Make sure to center it between the two points of the six inch side of the diamond.
- Attach one side of the hook and loop strips to the same side of the 4" x 4" square piece of wood that you attached the L-bracket to.
- Reinforce these strips with the staple gun.
- Attach the other side of the hook and loop strips to your mantel and press the completed stocking holder into place.
See how to incorporate Asian flair into this holiday season. Click for step-by-step instructions for an Asian-inspired ribbon box.Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter