Salt-Encrusted Branzino Recipe
Salt-encrusting is the perfect way to keep fish flavorful without drying it out. Try this restaurant trick at home and wow guests by serving it over a slow-cooked, Moroccan-spiced tagine.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Makes 4 servings
2 whole branzino fish
3-lb. box kosher salt
4 egg whites
3 lemons (for stuffing, juice and zest)
sprinkle of chopped parsley
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 yellow onion
5 cloves garlic
1/2 kabocha squash
1 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth infused with 1 tablespoon saffron
1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro stalks (keep tops for garnish)
2 tablespoon garam masala spice
1/2 cup chopped Turkish apricots
1 cup whole green olives
2 cups pearl couscous
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Score both sides of the branzino three times and stuff with garlic cloves, leeks, parsley and lemon (image 1).
2. To make the salt mixture, combine 3-lb. box salt, 4 egg whites, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and zest of one lemon (image 2). Mix until there is a sandy consistency.
3. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, creating a 1/4-inch bed of salt. Place the fish on top (image 3), and use the remaining mixture to completely cover the fish (image 4).
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes until salt coat turns slightly brown (image 5). Serve with vegetarian tagine.
Vegetarian Tagine Instructions
1. Chop garlic, onion and leeks, and saute in a tagine, or Dutch Oven, until soft (image 1).
2. To infuse broth, add 1 tablespoon saffron to cold stock and let sit for at least 15-20 minutes. Add chopped cilantro stalks, sauteing for 3-4 more minutes
3. Add in chopped zucchini and squash, sauteing for another 4-5 minutes (image 2), then add saffron broth (image 3). Add tomato and spices, bringing to a boil (image 4). Cover and cook on low for 1 hour.
4. Add chopped apricots and olives (image 5). Stir well and cover on low for 30 minutes. Serve over couscous topped with coarsely chopped almonds and cilantro.
The DIY experts at HGTV.com share simple step-by-step instructions on how to make Dad a denim apron for Father's Day.
The DIY experts at HGTV.com share simple step-by-step instructions on how to make a barbecue tool belt, a perfect gift for...
The experts at HGTV.com share a recipe for easy-to-make pepperoni and cheese pizza hand pies that are perfect as a Father's Day...