Lemon Cupcakes Recipe
This light and fluffy cake recipe is topped with Limoncello buttercream frosting, which adds a sour kick.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Before You Start
If you don't want the alcohol from the Limoncello, substitute 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract in the buttercream and reduce the confectioners' sugar to 3 1/2 cups.
Yield: one dozen cupcakes
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
2/3 cup sugar
scant cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
fresh mint leaves, lemon drops and/or sprinkles for garnish
Limoncello Buttercream Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons Limoncello
1/2 teaspoon powdered food dye (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin with papers, and set aside.
2. Place the cream cheese, butter, eggs, zest and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until light and creamy.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to cream cheese mixture while mixing on low speed. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Divide batter among one dozen cupcake papers. Smooth out the tops with the back of a teaspoon. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Cool in the tin for 3 minutes before removing to completely cool on a wire rack. Top with Limoncello buttercream and garnish with fresh mint leaves and a lemon drop.
Limoncello Buttercream Frosting Instructions
1. Cream together the butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
2. Add sugar and beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add Limoncello and beat on medium high for 3-5 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
Use this dressed-up vanilla cupcake recipe as the base for special-occasion decorated treats. Just add food coloring and...