How to Make a Holiday Lampwork Necklace
Renee Weaver shapes light bulbs, Santa's and peppermint candy lampwork beads to design her holiday necklace.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
49-strand beading wire
sterling silver findings
gemstone beads, clear crystal, red crystal
silver beads, turquoise beads
torch and torch lighter
didymium safety glasses
shaping tools and tweezers
silver clasps and jump rings
1. Light the torch and put on didymium safety glasses.
2. Warm up the glass, letting a ball gather on the glass rod. Grab the hot glass with tweezers and pull it out into a stringer. Let it cool. Make several different color stringers.
3. To begin making the light bulb beads, heat a mandrel in the flame of the torch. Heat a green glass rod (red shown) and wrap it around the mandrel.
4. Shape the glass to resemble a light bulb using a shaped marver.
7. Wave the finished bead in a reduction flame. Place the light bulb bead in a fiber blanket to cool gradually. Make two green and two red light bulb-shaped beads.
8. Wrap pink opaque glass around the mandrel to shape the Santa bead.
- Wrap white stringer next to pink glass so it touches.
- On other side of the pink glass, wrap red opaque glass.
- Draw on hair with white stringer.
- Wrap a white stringer around the bead above the face to form the brim of the hat.
- Add red stringer to the hat to form a drooping point. Add a white dot to the tip of the hat.
- Add eyes to the face with a small black stringer.
10. Add a nose to the face with pink stringer. Place the Santa bead in a fiber blanket. Make three more Santa beads for a total of four Santa's.
Attach feathers and beads to bias tape to create this ornate necklace and earring set.
Paige Hill creates a felt bag for the holidays.