How to Make a Holiday Fold-Out Card
Paige Hill embellishes a holiday fold-out card with a silk poinsettia, a gold heart charm and more.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
red art paper or cardstock
red polka dot patterned paper
bone folder, ruler and scissors
2 photo hinges
rub on words
silver mini brad
eyelets and eyelet setting tools
hand dyed silk ribbon
Happy Holidays tag
small red silk flower
mini paper roses
vintage postcard and vintage postage stamp
gold heart charm
needle with a large eye
glue gun and hot glue sticks
gold letter stickers (JOY)
1. Trace the envelope template (blue) on the wrong side of the patterned paper and the red cardstock. Cut out both pieces using scissors.
2. Place a ruler along the lines indicated (on template) for the envelope flaps and score with a bone folder.
4. Place the patterned piece of paper on top of the red cardstock with folded lines together. Stitch the two pieces together around the edges on the sewing machine. Trim the papers close to the stitching line.
5. Stamp the desired words on the red cardstock side of the envelope using alphabet rubber stamps and a black inkpad. Place the vintage postage stamp in the upper right hand corner.
7. Make a bow with a piece of silk ribbon. Hot glue the ribbon to the corner of the patterned paper. Glue the tails of the ribbon to the card with glue dots. Attach the small red silk flower, dusted with glitter with a mini brad in the center to the bow with glue.
8. Attach the "Happy Holidays" tag to the center of the card, just below the ribbon. Rub on the word "love" to a piece of torn red cardstock. Attach it to the right corner of the tag.
9. Rub on the word "the" to a silver round tag and attach it to the "love" cardstock piece using a mini brad.
10. Stamp the word "hills" in black onto the patterned paper below the silver tag.
14. Thread silk ribbon through each eyelet and tie the ribbon together, attaching the glittered poinsettia.
15. Thread the gold charm with the gold JOY stickers through the ribbon and tie.
Holiday Fold-Out Card by Paige Hill
Paige Hill of West Haven, Utah, believes in making her ideas work. In junior high she tried her own version of tole painting with tempera paint and plastic eggs. She discovered that tempera paints have a tendency to flake, and her paintings were all but gone when she went to check on them. She’s come a long way since then and, with no formal art training, she’s more determined than ever to make her ideas work, as seen with her distinctive, holiday fold-out greeting cards.
A pinecone adds texture and a sophisticated natural touch to this charming handmade holiday card.
Forget storebought holiday greetings. Show friends and family that you really care with a handmade card featuring a favorite...
Give Dad a break this year with a DIY scratch-off lotto-style card with prizes like breakfast in bed, a free pass from mowing...