Handmade Gift Ideas
Five HGTV.com users share their crafty ideas and tips for creating holiday-themed handmade gifts.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
glass ornament ball
Mod Podge and applicator
white or light color tissue paper
dark color or patterned tissue papers
coordinating handmade papers
glitter, seed beads or rhinestones
permanent stamping ink
metallic colored pencils
small paper cup
gift box and tags
1. Stamp images randomly onto white or light color tissue paper with permanent ink. Allow to dry.
2. Tear stamped images out of tissue paper and color with metallic colored pencils. Avoid watercolor pencils, they may smear.
3. Tear random-sized pieces of coordinating tissue and handmade papers.
4. Glue bits of paper to ornament, overlapping them so that none of the clear ball below shows through. The edges of the papers may look frayed or frizzy, but don’t worry as they will later be sealed flat with the Mod Podge.
5. After completely covering ornament with papers, embellish with glitter, seed beads or any other small light weight decorative elements. Allow ornament to dry by placing it upside down in a paper cup.
6. Once dry, apply a light coat of Mod Podge to the entire papered surface. The Mod Podge will seal all of the paper's edges and give the finished ornament a light sheen. Place it once again in the paper cup to allow it to thoroughly dry.
7. While ornament dries, decorate gift box and tag with coordinating stamps. Color with pencils and add any desired embellishments. Add tag with organdy ribbon and place dry ornament in box surrounded by colorful tissue paper or small candies. Your handmade ornament is ready for giving.