Christmas Ornament Ideas
Six HGTV.com users share their crafty ideas and tips for creating handmade Christmas ornaments.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Created by Rani Shah
Los Osos, Calif.
Materials and Tools:
gold beading wire
large glass gems
various inspirational words printed from your computer
photographs or flat embellishements, like paper flowers
green latex craft paint
spray-on paper protector
1. If you aren't starting with pre-made card stock blossoms, the first step is to sketch your design onto card stock or chipboard and cut out using an X-Acto blade or scissors.
2. Paint blossom front, back and edges with latex craft paint.
3. Type assorted inspirational and holiday-themed words on your computer, changing font colors and styles on each one. These will go under the glass gems, so size your words accordingly. Print them out.
4. Spray printed sheet with paper protector and allow to thoroughly dry.
5. Cut out printed words and glue them to the center of card stock blossoms along with other flat paper embellishments, like flowers, snowflakes, stars, etc.
6. Attach glass gem to center of card stock blossom using a small amount e6000 glue. Press firmly to eliminate any bubbles.
7. Wrap each individual petal with gold beading wire. Wrap around the entire blossom and leave enough to create a hook on the back of one petal.
8. Attach wire ornament hook or ribbon and use to decorate the tree, mantel or chandelier.
Use these glass ornaments as place card holders on your table. Follow these instructions by Tim Holtz to make your own ornaments.