Transform your favorite pie into dip form and pair it with easy-to-make, made-from-scratch gingersnap cookies.Farima Alavi
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
Pumpkin Pie Dip
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
pomegranate seeds (optional)
1. To make the dip, combine cream cheese and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar at a time using an electric hand mixer until smooth. Mix in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves. Chill for at least an hour or overnight. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top of dip right before serving for added color and flavor.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend and sift into a second bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat shortening until creamy. Slowly beat in white sugar, then beat the egg and dark molasses. Sift 1/4 cup of the flour mixture into shortening until blended. Add the rest of the flour mixture until you get a doughy texture.
4. Pinch off small amounts of the dough, and roll into 1-inch balls using the palms of your hands. Roll the balls in cinnamon sugar until fully coated.
5. Place balls a couple inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until slightly cracked in the middle. Let cool on a wire rack before serving. Serve with pumpkin pie dip.