A year-round favorite treat gets a delicious update for the holidays. Add the flavors of chocolate and peppermint to crisp rice treats before packaging them as homemade gifts for family and friends.Sam Henderson, Today's Nest
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups mini mint marshmallows
6 cups crisp rice cereal
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup peppermint candies, crushed
1. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Add mint marshmallows and stir frequently until completely melted.
3. Remove from heat. Add mint extract and cereal. Stir to coat cereal completely.
4. Press mixture into baking pan and even out the top.
5. Place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Over medium-low heat melt 1 cup of chocolate chips just until smooth.
6. Pour melted chocolate over crisp rice mixture in baking pan and smooth out with offset spatula. Set aside to cool and harden completely.
7. When cooled, loosen sides of pan with a knife and turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 equally sized bars.
8. Melt remaining chocolate chips in heatproof bowl.
9. Spread melted chocolate onto sides and tops of bars and sprinkle with peppermint candy pieces (Images 1 and 2).
10. Allow to cool and harden completely before serving.
11. Store in an airtight container.