Sweet and tart, these sandwich cookies combine two favorite seasonal flavors and are as pretty as they are tasty.Sam Henderson, Today's Nest
The sweet and tart jam could be enjoyed on its own or in other recipes. Be sure to save those holes you cut out to make the perfect petite cookies.
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon orange zest
3 cups flour
12 oz. fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 orange peel
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1. Cream the butter, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Add walnuts, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and zest. Mix well.
4. Add flour and mix until incorporated.
5. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
8. For each cookie cut two shapes with your cookie cutter. From one cut a smaller shape out leaving a hole. Place them on separate trays.
9. Bake on parchment-lined sheets for 12-14 minutes.
10. Allow to cool completely.
11. When cool, dust the cookies with the holes with confectioners' sugar.
12. Spread about a teaspoonful of filling on the base cookie and top with the dusted cookie.
1. In a food processor, grind the cranberries to a fine consistency.
2. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
3. Over medium heat bring the ingredients to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for 30-35 minutes or until you reach 220 degrees.
5. Allow to cool completely before using.
6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.