Arizona Inn shares a favorite dessert recipe for the holiday season.
Recipe courtesy of Arizona Inn.
4 sheets (1/3 oz.) gelatin
9 fl. oz. lychee puree
1/3 cup sugar, granulated
2 fl. oz. egg whites
5 oz. heavy whipping cream
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/2 cups sugar, granulated
12 oz. butter, unsalted softened
6 eggs, fresh
12 oz. whole milk
1 pt. heavy whipping cream
1/2 vanilla bean split and scraped
1/3 cup sugar, granulated
4 fl. oz. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, granulated
8 oz. water
Raspberry Soaking Syrup
8 oz. raspberry puree
8 oz. simple syrup
1 cup raspberry puree
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
jelly roll pan, 12x15
8 - 3" ring molds
3" round cutter or 9" springform pan
heavy bottom sauce pan
chinois or fine mesh strainer
2 small and 1 large mixing bowl
liquid measuring cups
off set spatulas
disposable piping bags
To Make the Butter Cake
1. Sift the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, cube the softened butter and paddle into the dry ingredients for two minutes or until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Whisk together the vanilla, eggs and milk. Add wet to dry in three batches, incorporating completely after each addition.
3. Spray and parchment the jelly roll pan. Pour batter into pan and smooth top.
4. Bake in 300 degree F. convection for 20 minutes or until golden brown and springs back when touched lightly.
5. Cool completely, invert the cake pan, remove parchment from the cake, level the top and return it to the pan.
To Make the Lychee Mousse
1. Bloom gelatin sheets in cold water. Heat half of the puree with one ounce granulated sugar. Squeeze excess water from gelatin and add to puree, stir until melted. Remove from heat and carefully incorporate the remaining puree.
2. Whip egg whites with remaining granulated sugar to medium peaks.
3. Whip heavy whipping cream to medium peaks.
4. Fold the egg whites into the lychee puree in two batches then fold in the whipped cream.
5. Pipe into pyramid flexi molds and level off with offset spatula. Freeze for one hour or until easily removed from the mold.
To Make the Anglaise
1. In a heavy bottom pot, place the scraped vanilla bean and one pint heavy cream, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and steep 15 minutes.
2. Prepare an ice bath, have the chinois ready in a clean bowl.
3. Whisk together the sugar and the eggs, temper in the infused cream and return to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of the spoon (165 degrees F.). Strain immediately and cool on the ice bath.
To Make the Simple Syrup
Bring the sugar and water to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to cook until all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
To Make the Raspberry Soaking Syrup
Stir together the simple syrup and raspberry puree. Pour one ounce over prepared butter cake.
Cut the butter cake with the three-inch round cutter, place in the bottom of the ring mold, soak with one ounce raspberry soaking syrup. Top each cake with a lychee mousse, level off. Place the molds in the freezer long enough for the edges to freeze, allowing them to slide easily out of the molds. Plate with the Anglaise, raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries.
Recipe can also be prepared in a nine-inch springform pan. Bake a half recipe of butter cake in the pan, cool completely then soak with raspberry syrup and top with the Lychee Mousse. Chill to firm up the mousse then remove the pan sides and slice.