These coffee-flavored cupcakes make the perfect homemade holiday gift and come in their own coffee-themed to-go container. Dress them up with a ribbon and mini ornament to spread seasonal cheer.Sam Henderson, Today's Nest
For the cupcake:
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup milk, at room temperature
3 tablespoons instant coffee
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
6 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place milk, coffee and egg whites into a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
3. Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl or electric mixer on low speed. Add butter. Continue beating on low for 1-2 minutes or until fully combined.
4. Add all but 1/2 cup of liquid mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of liquid and beat for 1 minute more.
5. Pour batter into paper cups to just over half full.
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 27 to 30 minutes.
7. Allow cake to cool to room temperature.
8. Frost cupcakes with white bakery frosting and sprinkle with colored sugar.
1. Place butter and shortening in a bowl and beat on low speed until smooth and creamy.
2. Add confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until fully blended.
3. Turn mixer to medium-high and beat for another 3 minutes.
1. Carefully undo the cardboard sleeve where it is glued. Turn over.
2. Punch two holes about 1/4-inch apart at the top/middle of the sleeve.
3. Thread a ribbon through one hole from the front and through the other hole from the back (Image 1).
4. Repeat for the other side with the other end of the ribbon.
5. Attach a small ornament (if desired) and tie a bow with the ribbon (Image 2).