This cookie recipe is made with graham flour, which gives the dough a flavor reminiscent of graham crackers. They are best served alongside strong coffee.Heather Baird, SprinkleBakes
Yield: About 20, 3-inch knot cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups graham flour
3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (packed) light-brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Sift flours, baking soda and salt into large bowl.
2. Using electric mixer, beat butter in another large bowl at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
3. Add brown sugar; beat 1 minute.
4. Add molasses; beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5. Add egg; beat until well blended, about 1 minute.
6. Reduce speed to low; beat in vanilla.
7. Add flour mixture and graham cracker crumbs; beat on low speed just to blend.
8. Gather dough into ball; wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.
9. Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll out 1/2 of dough. Refrigerate unused portion.
10. Roll lengths of dough into ropes and, working on a parchment-lined baking sheet, twist them into knots using the step-by-step pictures to guide you (Images 1-5).
11. Place a circle on top of a few of the finished trinity knots.
12. Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake for 8-12 minutes.
13. Let cool on pan until firm enough to transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
14. Store in an airtight container.