Turn an ordinary pair of socks into a stuffed sock dog, relative of the infamous sock monkey.
Materials and Tools:
pair of above ankle length socks
matching thread (sock color)
3 buttons (one pair for eyes, one for nose)
small bag polyester fiberfill
1. Turn one sock inside out to make the body and hind legs.
2. Flatten the sock so that the heel is facing up. Note: The heel will form the dog's rump, and the toe forms the neck.
3. Use the length from the opening of the sock to the heel to create the hind legs.
4. Turn the sock right side out and stuff with fiberfill and lavender.
5. Sew the gap closed.
6. Bend a leg forward and stitch the fold to the body to pull the leg forward. Repeat with the other leg.
7. Bend the end of one leg forward and hand stitch to create a paw. Repeat with the other leg.
8. Bend the sock's toe back toward the rump and hand stitch the fold to pull the fabric up and create a neck.
9. Create the ears, head, and front legs with the second sock.
10. Sew the head to the neck, leaving the front of the head open for stuffing.
11. Fill the head with stuffing and lavender. Add slightly more stuffing around the top of the head. Mold the stuffing with hands to form the shape of the face and a snout.
12. Stitch up the snout, adding more stuffing as needed.
13. Create the front legs.
14. Turn both legs out and stuff with fiberfill.
15. Sew both legs to the body.
16. Bend the end of one leg forward and hand stitch to create a paw. Repeat with the other leg.
17. Flatten the toe piece (as in step 9) for the ears, and cut in half.
18. Turn each piece inside out and stitch around the edges, leaving the bottom open.
19. Turn out one ear, position appropriately, and hand stitch to the head. Repeat with the other ear. Note: Do not stuff ears with fiberfill.
20. Form the tail in a triangular shape. Make it as thin, wide, short or long as desired.
21. Sew the tail to the body.
22. Sew two buttons on for eyes, and one for nose.