Etch a creative design in a ceramic vase to match any style room.
Materials and Tools:
electric potter's wheel
plaster clay-wedging table
container of water
cone 5 white stoneware clay
wooden chisel tool
colored clay slip (engobe)
Giffin Grip centering tool
various etching/carving tools
cone 5 clear glaze
1. Wedge the clay into a round shape.
2. Place a wooden bat on a potter's wheel head. Place the clay on the bat.
3. Lubricate your hands and the clay with water and center the clay on the wheel.
5. Smooth all throw lines from the vase with a metal rib.
7. Set the vase aside to dry until leather-hard, two to three days.
9. Place the vase on a banding wheel and pencil-sketch the leaf design or a design of your choosing on the surface of the vase.
11. Use a carving tool and a metal rib to scrape away all areas of slip that define the background design.
12. Clean off all the clay dust with a paintbrush and scrubbing pad.
13. Load the piece into the kiln and bisque-fire to cone 04, or 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
15. Load the vase back into the kiln and glaze-fire to cone 5, or 2,180 degrees Fahrenheit.