Incorporate wine bottles into a stained glass panel to create a beautiful display.
Materials and Tools:
4 wine bottles
flat glass sheets of various colors
copper foil tape
solder and soldering iron
flux in a spray bottle
paper leaf template
container of ice water
glass cleaner and cloths
2. Score the wine bottles around the bottom with a bottle cutter to remove the bottoms.
3. Heat the bottles along the score lines with a propane torch.
5. Smooth the edges of the bottle bottoms on the grinder.
6. With a scorer and breaking pliers, cut flat glass pieces for the panel from colored glass according to the design.
8. Score and break the green glass to form the rough leaf shape. Cut out the detail on a ring saw. Grind the edges. Wrap the edges with copper foil tape and burnish.
10. Place the drawing on a light box. Place a clear glass sheet on the drawing, and mark the pieces to be cut with a permanent marker.
11. Score the glass and break the pieces. Place the pieces on the drawing for fitting.
12. Fit the wine-bottle bottoms and flat pieces on the panel drawing. Grind and re-grind the pieces to fit the drawing exactly.
13. Cut the corners of the rough pieces so that the punts (the raised portions) of the wine-bottle bottoms can fit through them and the bottom can rest on the flat glass. Mark the flat glass around the bottom. Cut and grind the glass to fit against the bottom.
14. Wrap the edges of the bottoms and all glass pieces in copper foil tape. Burnish the copper on all the glass pieces.
15. Arrange all the wrapped pieces on the design, apply flux to the seams and solder the copper foil edges with a soldering iron and solder.
17. Apply flux and solder the border to the designed glass piece.
19. Clean the stained-glass panel with glass cleaner and polish it with a cloth.