Make and paint a Caribbean-style lazy Susan with these simple steps.
Materials and Tools:
two 1-by-10-inch pine boards
four 5/8-inch wood biscuits
paintbrushes in various sizes
hard paste wax
band saw and circular saw
palm sander and belt sander
power drill with 1-inch hole-maker bit
1. Wearing safety glasses, cut two 1-by-10-inch pine boards into 20-inch lengths with a circular saw for the top of the lazy Susan.
2. Line up the boards, long sides together, and draw three lines across the boards for placement of the grooves for the biscuit joiner.
4. Apply wood glue on the inside of each board and the inside of the groove, and insert four 5/8-inch wood biscuits into the groove.
5. Fit the boards together, lining up the groove on one board with the biscuits on the second board.
7. Cut one 1-by-10-by-10-inch piece of pine for the base.
8. Use the shape templates to trace 10 sides onto the top piece and eight sides onto the base.
9. Cut the top and base shapes with a band saw.
10. To measure for the lazy Susan hardware, find the center of the base piece and position the hardware on the top piece.
11. Rotate the hardware 90 degrees, mark the base and drill an access hole using a 1-inch hole-maker bit.
13. Sand each piece with a palm sander and sand the sides to slightly bevel the edges. Fill knotholes and gaps with wood putty. Sand again when the putty has dried.
14. Paint both the top and the base (top, back and edges) with slightly watered acrylic red paint. Let dry.
16. Paint the detailed bird design as desired.
17. Paint the leaf shapes and fill in the entire surface with desired designs around the leaves. Let dry.
18. Brush on a coat of satin polyurethane. Let dry completely.
19. Apply two more coats of polyurethane, sanding between coats. Let dry completely between coats.
20. Apply two coats of paste wax to the entire surface. Buff after each application of paste wax.
22. Center the base on the underside of the top piece.
24. Cut cork to cover the bottom of the base.
25. Attach the cork to the base with rubber cement. Let dry for two hours.