Add a classy touch to your refrigerator door with these whimsical copper magnets.
Materials and Tools:
16-gauge copper wire
silver and gold beads
steel wool or abrasive pad (without added cleaning agents)
liver of sulfur in heated slow cooker
1. Cut copper wire in two 6-inch lengths. Sand the ends smooth.
2. Make a small loop in one of the wires with round-nose pliers.
3. Switch to the flat pliers and wind the wire into a spiral by grabbing the loop and turning it in half-turns, repositioning the pliers every half-turn to keep them straight in your hand.
5. Wrap the copper wire 10 times around a large nail, forming a spring.
6. Form a small loop at both ends of the spiral with round pliers.
7. Twist open the loops to join the spiral and the coil with chain-forming pliers.
8. Grasp each end of the coil with pliers and stretch the coil.
9. Dip the spiral piece into heated liver-of-sulfur solution, rinse and remove excess color with steel wool.
10. Apply a pea-size dot of epoxy to the back of the spiral to attach the magnet.
11. Add a silver bead and a gold bead to the bottom of the coil.
12. Let the glue dry for two hours before you attach the magnet to a refrigerator. Caution: The magnet may form a permanent bond to the refrigerator if not fully dry.