Follow these simple steps for making a rectangular shade trimmed with beads, rhinestones and ribbon.
Materials and Tools:
glue in squeeze bottle
rotary cutter and cutting mat
iron and ironing board
about 1 yard of fabric
about 4 yards of soutache ribbon
about 2 yards of grosgrain ribbon
sparkles (rhinestones or flat-back jewels)
1. Cut pressure-sensitive styrene into panels slightly larger than the sides of the lampshade frame with a rotary cutter and cutting mat. Iron the fabric.
2. Peel the backing off the styrene and press onto the wrong side of the fabric. Trim around the edges, leaving a little excess fabric beyond the edge of the styrene.
4. On one panel, peel the backing off the tape and position the lampshade frame onto the styrene fabric.
6. Draw a thin line of glue down the edge of the lampshade.
7. Lay down the soutache to hide the seams between panels. Pull it taught. Repeat for the other three edges. Trim at the corners when dry.
9. Starting 1 inch from the bottom corner, place the glued grosgrain along the bottom edge of the frame on the fabric side of the shade, extending halfway over the frame edge so it can wrap around the frame to the inside.
10. Paint glue onto 6 more inches of the ribbon and pull gently while placing it down on the fabric of the shade. Wrap the ribbon around the frame toward the inside, mitering the corner.
11. Continue around the bottom of the shade and trim to overlap the starting point of the ribbon. Repeat on the top of the shade, making sure to snip around the shade clip.
13. Lay soutache down on the glue to finish the edge of the ribbon. Repeat on the next three sides.
14. Trim at the joining corner and dab on extra glue to prevent the soutache from fraying. Repeat on the top of the shade, making sure to line up joining corners.
15. Embellish the panels with rhinestones or flat-back jewels, attaching with small dots of glue. Let dry.
16. Place the lampshade on a lamp base.