Stamp and patina this playful metal magnet with a phrase of your choice.
Crafter Kelly Robinson demonstrates how to make one of her playful metal magnets.
1. Outline desired template onto the metal piece with a permanent marker.
2. Use a ruler to draw guidelines where the letter stamps will be placed.
3. Stamp the words into the metal using alphabet letter stamps and a hammer.
4. Use an automatic center punch to position dots for drilling holes and punch extra divots for design purposes.
5. Drill holes using two different size drill bits.
6. Cut out the design with a jeweler's saw.
7. Using a flex shaft and a sanding disk, carefully sand the edges smooth.
8. Repeat steps for a dangling element.
9. Attach dangling element with silver wire.
10. Mix liver of sulfur and water. Hold a magnet with tweezers under hot running water, and then dip into liver of sulfur mixture to patina.
11. Repeat patina several times until dark, then use an abrasive pad or jeweler's drill with a brush attached to highlight the surface.
12. Glue a magnet on the back with epoxy.