Add some sunshine and style to a child’s outfit with this soft flower brooch.
Crafter Jenny Harada of New Jersey demonstrates how to make an adorable flower brooch embellished with turquoise beads.
1. Cut six small circles from the orange sheet fabric.
2. Fold one of the circles in half. Stitch a running stitch along the round edge of the folded circle (Image 1).
3. Repeat for the other five circles. All the circles will be lined up along the thread (Image 2).
4. Pull the thread tight, gathering the circles into petals. Tie a knot leaving a small space in the center of the petals.
5. Cut one circle from the felted (yellow or desired color) sweater to make the flower center.
6. Stitch around the entire edge of the circle and pull tight. Tie a knot.
7. Stuff with a little polyester stuffing and flatten with your fingers.
8. Starting from the back, stitch through, catch a seed bead on the thread and stitch through to the back. Continue in this fashion to cover the flower center with turquoise seed beads.
9. Attach the flower center to the petals, hiding the thread as much as possible.
10. Cut a circle of felt for the back.
11. Attach a pin back to the felt circle with thread.
12. Sew the circle to the back of the flower brooch.
13. Fold the petals to face the front.