Sew a wool felt pattern onto fabric to create a pillow cover.
Susannah Yaunt-Torreano of Salt Lake City, Utah, creates a design out of wool felt, sews it to fabric and makes a pillow cover.
Materials and Tools:
12" x 16" pillow insert
1 yard natural linen
1 yard cotton fabric in teal color
1 yard wool felt in dark teal
14" zipper in natural color
polyester thread in natural and dark teal colors
11" x 17" or larger paper
1. Cut both the natural linen and dark teal cotton fabric to 13" x 17". These measurements include an inch extra for sewing overlap.
2. Draw a wool felt appliqué pattern design on 12" x 16" paper or smaller.
3. Cut out the paper design and pin the pattern to the wool felt. Cut out the felt in the pattern design by following the edge of the pattern.
4. Un-pin the felt cutout from the pattern and place it on dark teal cotton fabric in desired position and pin.
5. Thread bobbin and machine needle with teal thread. Sew the felt appliqué to the dark teal cotton making sure to leave at least 1/4-inch seam.
6. Pin the zipper face down to the face up appliquéd dark teal cotton fabric and sew along the edge of the zipper nearest to you. Stitch where the actual zipper starts leaving the ends unsecured. Remove pins.
7. Pin the un-sewn side of the zipper face down to the natural linen, making sure to match up both sides of the fabric pieces and sew along the edge of the zipper nearest to you. Make sure to start where the actual zipper starts, leave the ends unsecured. Remove pins.
8. Unzip the zipper and pin the fabric pieces right sides together making sure to match up the zipper edges along the top.
9. Sew the edges of the fabric pieces together leaving room for a 1-inch seam.
10. When you get to the ends of the zipper, pull out the excess zipper fabric so the ends stick out and sew up to the beginning of the actual zipper.
11. Remove all pins and turn the pillow cover right side out making sure to push out the corners.
12. Insert a pillow inside your wool felt appliquéd pillow cover and zip it up.