Photocopy a favorite photo to serve as the centerpiece of this mixed media collage project.
Materials and Tools:
black and white photocopy of a color photo printed on a color copier
canvas, same size as photo
spray bottle of water
Fragile Crackle finish
paint, various colors
paper towels or rag
piece of leather
1. Wet the photocopy with a spray bottle. Get it fairly wet; the colors won't run.
2. Place photocopy on canvas and brush gel medium over the top. Smooth the photocopy onto the canvas. Add torn pieces of scrapbooking papers, leaving a few spots blank, and smooth. Dry the piece with a blow dryer.
3. Apply step 1 of Fragile Crackle and allow to dry until the crackle is clear.
4. Apply step 2 of Fragile Crackle; allow to dry.
5. Mix equal parts of retarder/extender with paint color of choice. Brush onto canvas then immediately wipe away.
6. Glaze on translucent colors to tint areas of the canvas that aren't covered with paper. Work on other sections as the first section dries. Paint stencil designs to desired areas (diamonds, etc.).
7. Add words using foam stamps. Paint the back of the letter and stamp on canvas.
8. Add any other paint accents such as brushstrokes around the edges of the canvas. Dry with a blow dryer.
9. Varnish with one layer of varnish for protection. Blow dry.
10. Add eyelets to the center of the piece by poking six holes in the canvas. Use eyelet tools to secure on canvas. Thread and lace the leather through, tying a knot on the underside of the canvas. Trim excess.
Kathy Kromer, Fort Worth, Texas