Transform an Asian-style bamboo parasol into a whimsical showpiece with these instructions.
Materials and Tools:
2 “L” brackets
1. Cut the center string on the inside of parasol and the inner supports of the bamboo frame to release the tension. Cut the handle of the parasol.
2. Cut out a couple of the parasol panels to make the frame smaller. Test the size of the parasol by placing the open end against a flat surface. This will give you a good idea of how it needs to lie when it’s attached to the ceiling.
3. Use glue to neatly overlap two small rectangles of accent fabric over the tip of the parasol.
4. Build a wood frame to hold the parasol in place on the ceiling and attach the brackets to it. Fit the completed wood frame into the inside of the parasol.
5. Screw the frame to the ceiling and then use a nail gun to secure the parasol handle to the wood frame. Glue the large bamboo supports together to close the parasol again.