Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to light up a lampshade with beads and rhinestones.
Materials and Tools:
red-liner double-stick tape
pink trim with iridescent beaded fringe
two-tone ¼-inch ribbons
pink wired ribbon
tracing paper or vellum
1. Trace the lampshade panel shape onto tracing paper or vellum and cut it out to make a template. Use the template to trace six panels on the back of decorative paper and cut them out.
2. Apply a 1-inch roll of red liner tape to the edges of each panel, starting at the top of the lampshade and working your way to the bottom.
3. Peel back the red protective liner to expose the sticky tape. Adhere the decorative-paper panels to tape on all six panels.
4. Cover an entire panel and the framing of the lampshade in strips of 1-inch tape, overlapping the tape when necessary. To do this, peel back the red protective liner of tape you intend to overlap before the next strip is applied.
5. Peel back the red protective liner to expose the sticky tape on the entire panel. Adhere the flat-back vintage cabochons by applying them directly to the tape in the desired pattern. Create an embroidered look by “drawing” dimensional stitchery with threads directly onto the tape.
6. Expose the sticky tape on the framing of the panel and the zigzag ribbon from top to bottom by pleating and pressing the pleated ribbon onto the tape. Repeat the ribbon zigzag on the other side of panel.
7. Cover next panel with tape strips; expose and draw with dimensional threads by using the paper pattern underneath as a design guide. Vary the thread colors and design to your liking.
8. Pull the silk-like flowers off their stems and adhere a tape dot to the center. Peel back the tape’s red lining and adhere a rhinestone to the center. Dip the remaining exposed tape in iridescent glitter to fully cover it. Apply decorative flowers randomly to the lampshade. Then with the dimensional threads, draw vines around the flowers.
9. When the design work on the panels is complete, apply a strip of tape around the top and bottom perimeter of the lampshade. Apply decorative trim by applying directly to the tape, folding ends neatly under to hem/hide cut ends.
10. Place the shade in a shallow pan and pour clear beadlets over the remaining exposed tape. Swirl the beads with your fingertips over all the exposed tape areas until fully covered. Tap the side of the lampshade to dislodge any excess beads.