Installing window coverings throughout a home will minimize the escape of heat and cut down on the use of electricity.
- The most energy-efficient treatments feature honeycomb construction.
- Louvered shutters come in three styles: Cafe, plantation and sliding.
- Roller shades can be controlled with a chain or an electrical light switch.
- Window treatments protect rugs, paintings and furniture fabrics from fading caused by sun exposure.
- West-facing windows admit the hottest light and need the most coverage.
- South-facing windows are the most important natural light source and need only light coverage.
- It's best to have a professional measure your windows for custom treatments.