The DilemmaWhen Mary Wilson and her son, Mike, moved into their new house, they developed a plan to transform the basement into a cool bedroom "compound" where Mike and his friends can hang out. The Design on a Dime team signs on to give him the room he's always wanted.
Mike's a sports nut and needs a place to stash all his equipment. He needs ample seating for hanging out with his friends as well as storage solutions to control the clutter.
The SolutionAfter removing the headboards, the beds will be arranged to form a sectional unit. They'll add new bookcases for storage, and a basketball-themed cocktail table and light-up shelf will give the space some style. They'll replace Mike's kiddie basketball goal with a larger one and embellish the mirrored wall with sporty art. Here's how the team gets it all done.
Shelves and PillowsInterior designer Lee Snijders converts the twin-size beds into a sectional seating area. Sports-themed fabrics and pillows in various ball shapes make it a cozy spot to lounge. The team brings in three bookcases to house his many books and games.
Design coordinator Summer Baltzer creates a basketball-themed cocktail table by embellishing a simple wooden table with paint to mimic a court. A bright red rug underneath defines the space.
Storage for Sports EquipmentA new basketball goal, complete with indoor-friendly balls, will ensure that Mike and his friends get in some horseplay.
Swinging ChairA swinging wicker chair is suspended from the ceiling and is sure to be the hottest seat in the room.
Mirror AppliquesHe uses a projector to put sports illustrations onto linoleum. Once the tracings are complete, he cuts out the images and paints them in bright solids, adding detail with black paint.
Bedding and curtains - $250
- sports fabrics, $6.98 and $7.98 per yard - Jenny's Fabrics
- foam for neck rolls, $53.85 - Glamour Fabrics
- fabric, 1014018 Hunter Green, $ 2.99 per yard - JoAnn's
- comforter, 02882827917, $24.99 each - Kmart
- sports pillows, Moshi, 738790155951, $14.99 each - Linens 'N Things
- window panels, Home, 068030837, $19.99 - Target
Rug - $80
- Home, 066041166, $79.99 - Target
Illuminated shelf - $125
- lamps, Stanne, 30.665.46, $39.99 each - Ikea
Bookshelves - $257
- Billy, 900.66.47, $79 each - Ikea
Coffee table - $70
- Frijsta, 40064698, $59.00 - Ikea
- paint, green, 3317401, $.99 - JoAnn's
- paint, white, 3318060, $.99 - JoAnn's
- paint, blue, 3320769, $.99 - JoAnn's
- paint, red, 3317815, $.99 - JoAnn's
Sports area - $150
- basketball hoop, Lifetime, 081483058603, $29.99 - Big 5
- linoleum for mirror, $79 - Linoleum City
- sports storage, Rubbermaid, $9.99 - Target
Swinging chair - $65
- Svinga, $65 - Ikea
Total - $997